Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A little pep talk

We are in the first week of spring and I am bumping up my training in preparation for this racing season. Longer swims, runs and rides with the addition of some long intervals and tempo training work.

It all looks really good on paper- I plan my week out Monday morning- what workouts on which day, what type, when to do a brick, etc- it is the Execution that can be challenging.

Triathlon is an individual sport, which means that while I can go hammer through a group ride, and run intervals with a group at the track- it really all comes back to me, myself and I going at it day after day.

I first discovered my competitive drive and capacity for pushing myself with rowing in high school. Rowing might be considered the epitome of a team sport- each rower in an eight fused into one seamless machine with a single goal. That group energy enables you to push beyond where you think you can go. In one sense that makes it easier, step into the boat in the morning and you know you will get the job done, you have your crew with you working right alongside. 

Now, in a solo sport, I am working just for me. 

Luckily, it only takes a moment for me to remember why I am doing what I am doing and how extremely stoked and grateful it makes me! I am training to see just how fast I can be. Giving myself permission to pursue this sport that I love with all that I have.

On the docket tomorrow- morning swim and weights, then a tempo run in the afternoon! 

1 comment:

  1. By yourself, or in a group, you are such an incredible athlete! Hope the spring has progressed into more successes for you, and that summer 2011 is gearing up to be fantastic there in the Bay. Miss you and am wishing (as I often do) I was there to experience the benefits of your training and sunshiny presence.

    ReplyDelete